Ryan J. Suto's Blog

04 January 2012

U.S. public diplomacy recommendations for the Middle East and North Africa

For my 25th blog post, I wanted to discuss U.S. public diplomacy in the Middle East and North Africa. However, it's a bit too long. As such, I will post the discussion in three parts.

Part I: Why public diplomacy in the Middle East and North Africa? To cover this topic I first need to discuss the reasons behind the importance of U.S. public diplomacy in the Middle East and North Africa for public diplomacy skeptics out there.

Then, I will suggest two foci for U.S. public diplomacy; one long-term and one short-term.

Part II: The long-term. The U.S. should increase the number of Americans sent to the region to engage in exchange, professional and governmental support programs.

Part III: The short-term. The U.S increase training to engage in mediated public diplomacy on the popular regional media. Together, these goals will work to help “win the hearts and minds” of the publics of the Middle East and North Africa while at the same time helping develop the region and educating Americans about the people of that region.

No comments:

Post a Comment